2 large (or 4 small) aubergines
Lasagne sheets (the sort that doesn’t need to be pre-cooked)
1 400g jar Ina Paarman Roasted Pepper Sauce
1 250g tub of smooth cottage cheese
2 sachets instant white sauce (or make your own – needs to be about 500ml)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese or any other hard Italian cheese (I couldn’t find any so I just used mozzarella)
breadcrumbs or 1 small packet of Creamy Cheese Simba chips (crushed)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Slice aubergines in half-centimetre wide slices. Lay them on a greased baking sheet then sprinkle generously with olive oil.
- Allow them to roast for 25 minutes until they start going golden-brown (no need to turn them over).
- Prepare the white sauce as per instructions on the sachet.
- Mix in the grated cheddar cheese.
To assemble the lasagne
- In a greased casserole dish, spread a thin layer of the cheesy white sauce on the bottom.Lay the lasagne sheets over.
- Place slices of aubergine over the lasagne, then a third of the roasted pepper sauce.
- Dot a few blobs of cottage cheese all over.
- Add another layer of cheesy white sauce, then lasagne, then roasted pepper sauce & cottage cheese dots.
- Put the final layer of lasagne sheets on top, then cover with cheesy white sauce.
- Sprinkle the pecorino cheese & breadcrumbs (or chips) over the top.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 45 minutes.
Once the top of the lasagne starts getting brown, switch the top element of the oven off & just cook with the bottom element.