5ml olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
10 ml minced garlic
22 ml minced ginger
10 ml ground cumin
10 ml turmeric
10 ml curry powder
2 ml minced chilli (optional) or chilli paste
3 ml salt
125 ml water
1 large potato, unpeeled, cut into cubes
500 ml cubed pumpkin
250 ml cauliflower florets
1 x 410 g tin tomatoes with juices, chopped
1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
1 red pepper, thickly sliced
4 baby marrows, thickly sliced
3 ml fresh coriander
5 ml ‘lite’ margarine
½ vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 250 ml boiling water
125 ml low-fat evaporated milk
20 ml flour
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and gently fry until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, potato, pumpkin, cauliflower, tomatoes and chickpeas. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sliced red pepper and baby marrows and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamy sauce. Melt margarine in a small saucepan.
- When hot, add the stock, water and milk.
- In a glass bowl, mix the flour to a smooth paste with 45ml (3T) water. When the milk and stock are hot, pour half of it into the flour paste and stir well.
- Pour the flour and milk mixture back into the saucepan with the other half of the milk and stock and bring to the boil, stirring until thick and creamy.
- Add the sauce to the curried vegetables and mix gently. Add the fresh coriander.
- Serve on basmati rice